As usual, there is no shortage of Independence Day celebrations in NYC and Macy's certainly doesn't have the only show in town. Plan ahead to catch a fireworks show with the kids if they're old enough to stay up on these increasingly long days. Check back as we will add more celebrations as we find out about them. (Submit an event here.)
FIREWORKS DISPLAYS AROUND NYC
Note: All fireworks displays are subject to change or cancelation. Please check before heading out.
Leading up to July 4th:
- Tuesday, June 27:
- Thursday, June 29:
- Friday, June 30:
- Saturday, July 1:
On July 4th:
Macy's is launching its annual spectacular show from five barges stationed on the East River centered between Midtown Manhattan, Long Island City, and North Brooklyn. The telecast begins at 8pm, and fireworks typically begin around 9:20pm and last for approximately 25 minutes.
Official public fireworks viewing locations (map)
There’s limited capacity at most spots, so plan early to find your favorite one.
- Marsha P. Johnson State Park, Williamsburg
- Transmitter Park, Greenpoint
- Newtown Barge Park, Greenpoint
- Gantry Plaza State Park, Long Island City
- E. 20th Street and FDR Drive, Manhattan (Security checkpoint at 1st Avenue and E. 20th Street)
- E. 34th Street and FDR Drive, Manhattan (Security checkpoint at 1st Avenue and E. 34th Street)
- E. 42nd Street and FDR Drive, Manhattan (Security checkpoint at 1st Avenue and E. 42nd Street)
Notes from the website: Please leave lawn chairs, blankets, tents, coolers, umbrellas & large bags at home. As crowds build, some of these locations will be closed & spectators will be redirected to additional open access points along the FDR Drive. Access points, viewing locations & transportation are subject to change.
Also viewable from these North Brooklyn locations
- Skyline Drive-In (register for tickets)
- Marsha P. Johnson State Park (click for ground rules including picking up a wristband starting at 4:30pm)
- Bushwick Inlet Park
- Transmitter Park
- Domino Park (with limited and obstructed views)
*There are locations along the East River waterfront that you will NOT be able to see the fireworks from, as the view is obstructed or the area is closed to the public including the following locations: Brooklyn Bridge Park, Brooklyn Heights Promenade, Brooklyn Grand Ferry Park, Domino Park, Queens Hunter’s Point South Park & Roosevelt Island.
Of course, you could also try any roof deck with unobstructed views! Tune into 1010 WINS-AM to hear the synchronized musical score from anywhere. To catch celebrity performances or to simply enjoy the show from home, watch it on NBC or stream it on Peacock 8-10pm.
Coney Island also presents a fireworks show on July 4th (in addition to 10 weeks of Friday night fireworks). The 7th Annual Fourth of July Fireworks Spectacular starts at approximately 9:30pm. Visitors can view the fireworks anywhere on the Boardwalk from West 10th Street to West 23rd Street Street to see the show! Organizers encourage taking public transportation (D, F, N, Q trains) to Stillwell Ave for an easier commute, due the expected volume of people.
And don't forget the other famous July 4th Coney Island tradition: The International Hot Dog Eating Competition at Nathan's Famous! The Women's competition kicks off at 11am and the men's competition starts at 12:30pm.
NYC's outlet destination in Staten Island's St. George neighborhood is hosting a block party kicking off at 3pm with fireworks starting at 9pm (& glow sticks)!
- 3pm-8pm : Face painting, Popcorn, Cotton Candy, & Balloon Animals 🍿
- 3:30pm – The 4th Annual Empire Outlets Cannoli Eating contest.
- 3pm – 9pm: 4th July Themed Photo Booth & Live DJ!
Viewable from south Brooklyn waterfront locations, keep a look out for Jersey City's spectacular fireworks display by the world-famous Fireworks by Grucci. Fireworks will begin at 9:30pm.
Jersey City will have a day filled with local eats, shopping, and music presented by Jersey City Night Market at the Exchange Place Path Plaza from 12:00pm to 10:00pm. There will be games for kids, interactive pop-ups, DJs along Montgomery St, and fun giveaways.
PREMIUM JULY 4 EXPERIENCES
Skyline Drive-In – Greenpoint
$22 General Admission, $75 VIP, $125 Supreme
One of the best fireworks views in the city + the fireworks are followed by a screening of "Back to the Future". Kid section will be available. Tickets will be available upon arrival. $10 per player. Admission tickets don't include access to this area.
Front Row Fireworks – East 34th Street Heliport
$65 general admission, $99 seated admission (no outside chairs permitted)
Family-friendly activities including games, balloon artists, face painters, live music (food and drinks available, but not included)
- Event Cruises NYC – South Street Seaport
$199 per person
- Manhattan by Sail South Street Seaport or Brookfield Place
$550; $499 children under 12
- 4th of July IndepenDANCE Day Family Fireworks Cruise – Lower East Side
$204 per person
- iBoatNYC 4th of July Fireworks Cruises – West Village
$135+ per person
- The American Princess – Chelsea
$175 per person
FAMILY FUN ACTIVITIES
CRAFTS: 3 Easy July 4th Crafts for kids
We hope you have a wonderful 4th of July with your family!
LET'S GET SOCIAL!
Want to advertise your locally-owned business? Email us at MacKidBrooklynNW@macaronikid.com